those days where clothing is just too hard to draw so you decide to make it porn
7 Ways to Improve Your Cosplay
Keep in mind that these may not apply to all cosplays, and that its not mandatory at all! Skill level should never hold you back from cosplaying what you want to, just do your best. But if you are interested, here are some quick tips on taking your cosplay to another level :)
- Weathering: This can make your cosplay look 100x more realistic! Make it look like you’ve just gotten out of a fight, chased off monsters, or come back from the dead. [Ex: Laura Croft, Wolverine, Zombies, Warriors and what not] Get creative! There’s all kinds of home made blood recipes, fake dirt, fake burn powder, and other resources you can use for awesome special effects! Don’t forget your clothes or armor though, they might need a rough look too!
| How to Make Torn Edges | How To Weather Fake Fur | How to Weather Armor | Weathering a Prop |
- Contouring your makeup: Want to accentuate your features? Want to make your face look more like a different character or gender? Contouring is a great way to do that and it is relatively easy. It just takes a little time, patience, and practice. Don’t forget if you have a mall nearby with makeup counters, the sales people can show you how to contour your face! (Also don’t forget that you can contour while using body paint as well, just switch up the colors!)
| Basic Contouring/Highlighting | (I’m currently looking for some good crossplay makeup tutorials, so link me if you know of any and I’ll add them!)
- Improving your eyes: Okay this covers three tips but I figured I’d put them all under this. Firstly, match your eyebrows to your wig! This makes a HUGE difference…just go maybe two shades darker than your wig color. Second, give contacts a try! Now, definitely don’t feel like you have to, some people have eye problems or just don’t like the idea of having something in their eye. That’s perfectly fine! But if you wanna give it a try, it can really make your cosplay shine a little brighter. Third, experiment with fake lashes. This is primarily for female characters, but a lot of times cameras minimize what makeup you do have on and sometimes it helps to have a little extra oomf!
| Eyebrow Coloring | Eyebrow Coloring with Eyeshadow | Cosplay Contacts 101 | How to put on fake lashes |
- Iron as you go: When you’re sewing, keep your iron warm to press your seams and keep it wrinkle free! This can give it a very professional, clean look.
- Speaking of sewing, try out some new seams: French seams are a nice alternative for a string-free, clean look. Or, if you don’t want to bother with that, you can grab some Fray-Check to keep your fabric from unraveling and making a mess. When your outfit looks clean on the inside, it makes you feel a lot better about wearing it :)
| How to make french seams |
- Make it shiny: Yes, what you read was correct! Adding a resin coating to your prop can give it a really professional look. Of course this won’t work for everything, but it’s a fantastic option.
| How to resin coat |
- Choose correct tools for what you’re working on: There are hundreds of kinds of tools and materials that you can utilize for whatever project you are working on! Do research on what is available to you and how to use it. You can buy fiberglass materials and bondo at walmart! Lowes or Home Depot has Rigid Insulation Foam that is great for large props! Heat guns, hot wires, razors, rotary cutters, and all kinds of other materials can be found locally. Just please be sure you are very careful and follow all safety procedures!
| A great post on tools of the trade |
These are just a few tips to help out! If you have any tips or tricks that you feel have improved your cosplay, message or submit them to me and if I get enough, I’ll make another post with YOUR tips :) Remember, these don’t apply to everyone and they are definitely not mandatory. Cosplay is for fun! So do what you have to to enjoy your cosplay to the fullest, regardless of what anyone else thinks :)
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
IF YOU ARE STREAMING, DON’T USE PROCASTER.
DON’T. USE. PROCASTER.
Livestream procaster consumes large amounts of cpu for nothing. No joke, nothing. As a result your stream can become laggy and sometimes it can damage your hardware as your PC has to push itself to keep what your streaming functioning as well as possible.
"But if we can’t use procaster what can we use insteaaaaad?"
Simple. There’s two programs, both that are free, that you can use that uses very little CPU and has more options than procaster. These programs are called Xsplit and OBS. To keep your head in one piece, I’m going to go over how to stream on Livestream with Xsplit.
Under the cut of course.
(But really maybe one day I will because you’re an attractive asshole and I luvs you but stress and tiredness makes everything terrible forever so i might have to wait until i have the inspiration and energy which will not be soon the way things are going *just cries forever*)
do you ever get cuddle frustrated? Not sexually frustrated, but just get really frustrated and asdfghklg because you’re not cuddling someone right now and you just really need to feel someone with their arms around you and bury your face in their neck and just feel them close
Bad thing about a writer's mind
- 6am: Oh what a wonderful dream to wake up from. Now I'll give you five story ideas.
- 1am: You're tired? Well I'm sorry but I must keep these ideas coming until it's almost 4am and you're dozing off on your computer/notebook.
- Shower: I know how you can solve this plot hole.... with this scene.
- In a store: That person over there looks like OC... oh! This gives me an idea! Who cares if you have nothing to write it down with.
- At a party: Wow... here's a great way to word that scene you can't get down. Too bad in five minutes you won't remember much more than two sentences. From different paragraphs.
- Timed test: You know what would be great? Instead of this happening, this happens and I am so glad this brilliant idea makes you want to write and not focus on this geometry question!
- While writing at a decent time: Yeah, I got nothing.
America is some fucked up dystopian shit honestly like how are y’all even surviving? Paying for healthcare? $60,000 on tuition? POC getting shot in Wal-Marts? White men shooting up elementary schools? That’s terrifying I’m worried about all of you